Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My First Snow Day

Today is a rare day for Penn State. It is the first time in eight years that classes have been cancelled for a full day. It hasn't happened since February 14, 2007 when State College received a foot of snow. The funny thing is that it's not even snowing today. Last night there was freezing rain, which I guess have made the roads and sidewalks unsafe.
Yesterday afternoon all classes and activities were cancelled after 4:00 meaning that the gyms and libraries were shutting down as well. I was already done with my classes at that point, but I was disappointed since I hadn't gotten my full workout in. I was still required to go to work last night since dining services are considered "essential." Walking back to my dorm was so crazy that I just knew there was no way classes would not be cancelled for today. It was basically like walking on an ice skating rink. I had to take baby steps and figured some sort of walking device would help me. Luckily, I made it back to my dorm unscathed. 
Now, you would think that I am just LOVING this snow day, but that is truly not the case. Just being real here. I had to wake up to my alarm to check my e-mail to confirm that indeed my classes were cancelled. It would have been nice if they could have decided this last night, so I could have least gotten to sleep in. At first there was a delay until 10:00, which would not have meant anything to me since my first class did indeed start at 10:00. But, then a little after 9:00, the university announced everything would be closed until 5:00 A.M. tomorrow morning.
Canceling the day meant I had to reschedule a mentor evaluation meeting at the preschool for Friday afternoon, and I'm sure my three professors will soon send out an e-mail giving us work to do later since we missed class. In addition, my plans to go to the last men's basketball game of the season are cancelled. Basically, a snow day for me means staying inside and working on homework all day since it is unsafe to go out and do anything. Apparently, downtown is empty. Above all, I hate that the gym is closed. We are heading into spring break next week when I will not have access to any gyms, so the timing is just great. I guess I am going to try to do the bodyweight workout in my room that I did with my CHAARG small group last week, but we'll see how that goes. I'm just hoping everything will remain back to normal tomorrow.
Do your snow days look more promising than mine? What would you do on your snow day? I had always imagined them more as building snowmen and drinking hot cocoa. 
 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

No comments:

Post a Comment