Friday, March 6, 2015

B-I-N-G-O


Recently I was invited to join the Penn State chapter of the national Phi Eta Sigma honor's society. Last night, I went my first event with them. We are going to be formally inducted and have our first general meeting after spring break, but they invited their new members to attend some of their activities early. I was supposed to go with them to the basketball game last night, but it got cancelled due to the campus closing because of weather.

At first, I was a bit hesitant to sign up for the event with them since I didn't know anybody and would have to leave my CHAARG small group potluck early. But, I just decided to go for it signing up kind of late. So, the day before, the activities chair texted me saying there wasn't enough room in the cars, and since I was one of the last to sign up, I would probably have to wait to go next time. But then, the next morning, the other activities chair texted me saying a few people dropped out so there was room in the cars for me to go.

Every other week Phi Eta Sigma organizes a service event where members drive over to the retirement home about twenty minutes away to play Bingo with the senior citizens for an hour and a half. It was definitely a new experience for me, but I did end up winning one game. They even had prizes for the winners that included Hershey's bars, gold fish, sandwich cookies, popcorn, M&M's, caramels, etc. I enjoyed seeing what the facility and the residents.

I can't wait to get involved with Phi Eta Sigma more. They are having a formal coming up, intramural sports teams, and academic workshops. After talking to one of the activities chairs last night, I may even run for a position as another activities chair if things pan out. I'm sure it won't be the last time I play BINGO either. Who knew there were so many variations to the game? From four corners to postage stamps to round robin to cover all... do you have any clue what I'm talking about?

How did you spend your Thursday night?? I can't wait for the weekend! Have a good one!
 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

2 comments:

  1. How many organizations can you join???? I don't see how you have time for all of them. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on attaining honor society status, Leah! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete