Friday, January 16, 2015

Preschool Tours

This semester I am taking a human development and family studies class where I will be spending five hours a week at one of the two preschools on campus. I am super excited for this to start! For this week's assignment,  we had to tour each of the preschools to give our preferences for which one we want to be placed at.
Each of the two preschools has such a different feel. The Bennet Family Center is the older one located on the south east side of campus close to my dorm. I always see these kids walking around on campus. Hort Woods is the newer one located on the Northwest side of campus close to my classes. It has an environmentally friendly design that the program coordinators were able to have input in designing. It has a much larger outdoor space. There are classrooms of children up to two years old and other classrooms of children from three to five years old in both centers. Generally, one of the younger classes and one of the older classes are paired together. Each location has their own chef serving breakfast, lunch, and a snack to the kids.
I loved seeing the preschools and comparing it to the one I went to on UCLA's campus. I already notice many similarities and differences. I find kind of funny that I will be focusing in and observing one child while a UCLA student did the same to me when I was young little toddler. I got a kick out of reading the observations when I came across the papers a few years ago. Fingers crossed I get my first pick at Hort Woods. But, whichever preschool I end up at I am so excited to spend time there with the kids. I will update you when I get my assignment.
 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

1 comment:

  1. It is funny how things come full circle, isn't it. As I started reading this post I immediately thought of your preschool experience on a college campus. Don't know if you know this, but my dream job was to be a preschool teacher. I love that age and thought it would be a perfect fit for me. I finally figured out that it wouldn't pay enough money so moved on to school psych.

    ReplyDelete