Friday, September 26, 2014

Career Services Center

This week I had an assignment for my English class to attend this Get Connected event at the Career Services Center. It was basically like an open house similar to the one the library had, which I posted about here in case you missed it. At the Get Connected event, there were four stations that we went around to in groups. 

The first station was LionLink. Basically we just sat in a hallway and they just told us about their networking program with alumni. Honestly, I did not even really hear what they were saying, so I kind of felt that this station was pointless.
Next, we were split up into four groups to play Minute to Win It. We had to shout out answers to what qualities and experience employers are looking for in their potential employees as well as how to market yourself to them. I thought this was a nice way to inform us about what we can do to up our profile when it comes time to find a job. The four groups individually had to shout out answers on what they thought the answers were. Our group got the most points so we won! 
The third station was called the party game. We were given a handout when we walked in with six categories, and we were asked to pick the top ones that best described us. We could choose realistic described as "people who have athletic or mechanical ability, prefer to work with objects, machines, tools, plants, or animals, or to be outdoors," conventional described as "people who like to work with data, have clerical or numerical ability, carrying things out in detail or like following through on others' interactions,"  enterprising described as "people who like to work with people -- influencing, persuading, or performing or leading or managing for organizational goals or for economic gain," or investigative described as "people who like to observe, learn, investigate, analyze, evaluate, or solve problems," artistic described as "people who have artistic, innovating, or intuitional abilities, and like to work in unstructured situations using their imagination or creativity," or social described as "people who like to work with people -- to inform, enlighten, help, train, develop, or cure them, or are skilled with words."  I chose conventional as my top choice with social as a close second. Conventional was the easy choice for me because I like step by step processes to follow. I like when things have an answer. In addition, I am a creature of habit and I enjoy organizing. I found this part of the event to be the most helpful since I am an undecided major. It helped me think of majors and careers that would best fit my interests and personality.

Finally, the last station we went to was in the career library where they told us about the resources we could use. One service they mentioned was that they can help us with our resumés. As we walked out, they were giving away popcorn and goldfish!
I thought the Get Connected event was a great way to familiarize students to all the resources that the Career Service Center offers. I definitely plan on going back several times during my time at Penn State.

 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

No comments:

Post a Comment