Friday, August 29, 2014

Welcome Week

I am nearing the end of my first week at college, yet it feels like I have been here forever. Of course, there have been various activities for freshmen throughout the week. The first night that I moved in we had a floor meeting followed by dinner and then the President's convocation over at the Bryce Jordan Center where the basketball team plays. Each freshman was given a different colored T-shirt to wear representing the college that their major is in. The College of Arts and Architecture was a periwinkle color. It was cool seeing the rainbow of students. You would be shocked seeing the insanely large number of freshmen all in one room. Although there was a lack of periwinkle in the room, there were a ton of undecided and engineering students. Representatives from each college walked in. The new President and student body President welcomed us to the school.
The next night I went to the pep rally for the freshmen. The event was called Be a Part from the Start. We all got free pom poms and posters of the football team. It was only an hour, but it was tiring standing the whole time. Yep, I know what you're thinking. Football games in the student section are going to be rough. We did the wave, watched the dance and cheer team perform, listened to the band, and other things like that. The hockey team and football coach came out at one point. The event ended with all of us singing the alma matter. I really enjoyed it!
Monday through Thursday I checked out the Involvement Fair each day. A bunch of clubs and organizations set up booths and clubs to try and get you to sign up. I was interested in the Cooking and Baking Club, the Event Planning Organization, Homecoming Committee, and clubs involved with THON. For those of you who don't know, THON is a 46 hour dance marathon put on in the spring to raise money for pediatric cancer. Last year I think the school rose over $13 million. It's the biggest event of the year.
Yesterday night, I wanted to go to the late night Target event where they give you a bag of free stuff and you can shop after hours for last minute dorm supplies. But, it was so late and I was just too tired and exhausted from my architecture class to go. More on my stressful classes later. I was also slightly sick, so to say I would have been able to stay up that late is probably wishful thinking.
Have a great weekend! I'll be volunteering on Saturday and doing homework Sunday and Monday.
 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post about stuff you haven't been able to tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. La mamma dice che è l'unico che commenta sul blog. Ho pensato che ho fatto una volta. Io pratico il mio italiano per quando si va via. Mi manchi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, who are you volunteering for and what will you be doing?

    ReplyDelete