Friday, August 22, 2014

Summer Schenanigans

This summer was the first summer in my life that I did not have any set activities planned. I didn't have summer school or sports or summer camp taking up my time. Thus, I declared summer 2014 my summer of leisure. Here's what's been happening these past ten weeks:

1. Six Flags
{via}
One day, our graduating class of 2014 went to Six Flags as part of our senior week activities. I opted for the half day, so we only went on a few rides that I thought were all painful. I went on Batman, Riddler's Revenge, Colossus, and one another roller coaster. Our school had also reserved the picnic area for us.
2. Kyle's Graduation
My fourteen year old brother culminated from middle school on our football field the night before I graduated at the exact same place. I just remember the super long student speeches.
3. My Graduation
June 12, 2014 was the day I graduated from high school. I walked beside a foreign exchange student to my seat. At the end of our ceremony, we broke out into a dance to . The one thing that I did not like was that we had absolutely no time to take pictures after because we had to rush off to grad night.
4. Grad Night
Our grad night was a surprise, so we boarded a bus not having any idea where we were going. For some reason, they extensively padded us down before we were able to board the bus. I was praying we would go to Disneyland like the previous three years had. Well, we ended up ten minutes away at Knott's Berry Farm, which I had never really been to. We had the whole park to ourselves, and there were about eight rides open. I went on every single one, thoroughly enjoying the log ride. There was food and a dance floor along with tattoo artists inside.
5. Father's Day


We spent this Sunday at my grandfather's pool while chowing down on some ole' barbecue. I made my dad this little "card" with a note rolled up as a straw telling him that his Penn State swag was on its way. The adorable printable is found here.
6. Books

I usually do not read leisurely, but since I thought I would have so much time on my hands this summer, I decided to read one book a week. Well, that went well until I was assigned a summer reading book. Sigh.

7. Family Graduation Party
About a week after my graduation, the whole family came to celebrate with lunch at the Malibu Cafe. I actually wanted brunch, but its only served on Sundays. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the outdoor seating complete with corn hole, chandeliers, a pool table, giant jenga, chess, and more!
8. Celebrating Birthdays

We celebrated my grandmother and both of my cousins birthdays. We also celebrated my birthday early since I'll be away at school on September 10.

9. Movies
{via}
I'm not really a movie person because I mainly only like chic flicks, but How to Your Dragon 2 was adorable! I also had plans to see 22 Jump Street, but they fell through at the last second.
10. Tea

The girls went to tea to celebrate Graham's birthday at the in Beverly Hills. It was the first tea I had been to.The thing is that I'm not really a fan of tea, but I had a non-caffeinated Hawaiian one that was tolerable. But, I put on my tutu, and ate all the little treats from the scones, to the sandwiches, to the decadent desserts. It made me want to host a tea one day. 
11. Beach
{via}
I went to Zuma several times this summer, once as another one of our senior activities. We even played a little game of ultimate frisbee. However, I did lose my sunglasses in the ocean as well as a little sunburnt, but I think it was definitely worth it to enjoy my last few months so close to the water.
12. Shopping
Every summer must entail back to school shopping. I did have a very successful back to school shopping experience at the mall this year. In addition, I was super excited when the new Target near our house opened, so I could scout out some dorm decor. In fact, we went two days in a row the first weekend it opened.
13. Fourth of July
I love any holiday, and the Fourth of July is no exception. I enjoy all the patriotism. This year, I showed by spirit by sporting some red nail polish, white sandals, and a blue maxi dress. And, of course, we saw fireworks at the beach by my cousins house. I love it because while we have our toes in the sand, we can see all the other fireworks going off along the coast before our show even starts.
14. Baking


I always looking forward to whipping up some tasty treats. This summer I made some peanut butter butterscotch bars, chocolate chip cookies, and s'mores brownies along with other various yummies. Check out the recipe to the s'mores brownies I made here.

15. Orientation




























Orientation was possibly the most nerve wracking experience of my life. You can read about Part 1 and Part 2 in my previous blog posts.

16. Baseball Games
{via}

This summer I went to one game at Dodger Stadium and one game at Angel Stadium as part of my father and grandfather's Father's Day gifts. I had not been to the newly renovated Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium either. I enjoyed having sushi for dinner while watching the Dodgers win by a walk off home run.

17. Museums




























My friend Audrey and I decided to go to the Getty Villa one day. I loved the gardens. You can read about my post on it here in case you missed it.

18. Going Out to Eat





























{via}

I ate many meals catching up and saying goodbye to my friends. We hit up Islands, Stacked, Blue Stove, Wolf Creek, the Agoura Deli, CPK, and more. Sadly, this is where all of my money has been going.
19. Organizing

I enjoy neatness and order. So, with all my free time I put myself to good work. As you can see I organized my dad's hats when I saw the messy chaos one day as I walked by them. And, this isn't even all of them. There are many stacked behind each other that you can't see, and some are located in other places. I also took on the tasks of our guest bedroom closet, my desk, and my bookshelf along with my all my high school papers.

20. Painting


My friend Jennifer and I painted canvases for our dorm room. I painted five that I plan on making into a gallery wall above bed. Stay tuned for some pictures.
21. Hiking

One day my friend Rachel and I decided to hike to Paradise Falls. It was super hot that day, but we made it! I also enjoyed the teepee on the way. Unfortunately, no one was there to take a picture of the both of us.
22. Vacation




























This year we went on a family vacation with my dad's side of the family to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Activties included whitewater rafting, hiking, a wildlife tour, and more. Read about Days 1&2, Days 3&4, Days 5&6, Days 7,8,&9 or watch my video.

23. Spa































In Teton Village, we had a spa day where I got a great full body massage. I feel spa days are definitely necessary every now and again.

24. Said Goodbye to our Cat



Nala had a tumor in her stomach, so the family decided it would be best to put her down. Now, Simba  has the house all to himself.

25. Wisdom Teeth Removal
This was by far the worst part of my summer. I had all four wisdom teeth removed last Monday. I hated not being able to eat.

26. Appointments



























It seems like every week I had some appointment from the doctor's to the dentist to the orthodontist to the oral surgeon's in addition to hair and nail appointments. In fact, the last three days before I left, I had five appointments.

27. Driving
I was basically my brother's chaufer all summer long taking him to and from cross country, summer school, camp, and appointments.
 
28. Reality TV
































{via}

If you know me, you know I'm pretty much watching every night. Sad, but true fact. I've been loving Bachelor in Paradise and a new Bravo series called Jersey Belle. Obviously I have also been watching the Real Housewives of Orange County, New Jersey, and New York as well as Keeping Up with the Kardashians. But, don't worry I only named a few.
29. Packing



I filled up five suitcases, a backpack, and two boxes of college stuff. My dad thought it would be a good idea to rent a sedan, but all the bags didn't fit, so instead we've been cruising around in an embarrassing mini van.
30. Blogging



And, last but not least, I took the leap and started The Dorm Diaries for you all to follow along with my life in college. I thought I'd give a little preview part way through summer though. ;)

I'd say the summer of 2014 was pretty good! Unfortunately there were a few items on my summer bucket list that I did not get to including the county fair, Disneyland, Beyonce and Jay Z's On the Run Tour and Justin Timberlake's concert. Oh well, there's always next summer.

Today is my last day of summer because my first day of college is on Monday. Eek! To say that I'm sad that summer is almost over is an understatement. However, I did really enjoy reminiscing over my summer while putting together this post. What have you been up to this summer?
 photo yes2_zps687c5179.png

No comments:

Post a Comment