Friday, August 8, 2014

Recipe Review: S'mores Brownies

Last Christmas my friend Jennifer gave me a recipe book as part of my gift. And, on the front page she wrote in her favorite recipe for S'mores Brownies. I made a batch and they were so good that I just have to share! They are even better than the traditional campfire s'more. They are a perfect treat to eat all year round both in the summer and the winter.

Author: Jennifer
Taste Rating: 4 stars     Ease Rating: 2 stars           Serves: 12
Prep Time: 30 min        Bake Time: 50-60 min     Total Time: 1 hr 20-30 min

Here are all the ingredients you'll need:





First, preheat your oven to 325°F. Line 8x8" pan with aluminum foil so it hangs over the edge.


These brownies have three different parts: the crust, brownie, and then topping.

The crust is up first. You'll need:




7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (8-9 graham crackers)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt

In a medium bowl, mix butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt. 



Press the crumb mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 15-20 minutes.










As the crust is baking, start the brownie part. You'll need:


8 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour

Melt butter and chocolate for one minute intervals until they are completely melted and mixed together. 




Mix in granulated and light brown sugars, salt, and vanilla into the melted chocolate and butter combination.







Add eggs and beat until thick and glossy.








Stir in flour.


Pour batter over baked crust. Put in oven for 35-40 minutes. A little gooeyness is good when testing to see if brownies are ready. Remove the pan from the oven. 




Now that the brownie part is out, it's time to make the topping. You'll need:



1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3-4 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (1 graham cracker)

Turn up heat on oven to a low broil. Sprinkle chocolate chips, then marshmallows, then graham crackers on top. Place pan in oven for 1-2 minutes tops just until the marshmallows on top are golden brown. KEEP AN EYE OUT! Marshmallows will catch on fire if they are in the oven too long.











Let cool for a few minutes. Pull brownies out by foil edge. Cut brownie with a wet, sharp knife wiping off knife after each cut. Serve and Enjoy!

P.S. I'm going to let you in on a little secret today. The second time I made these brownies I burned the marshmallow topping, so I had to scrape it off and repeat step 4 over again until they were good as new. And, the third time I made them I forgot to add the butter to the brownie part, but no one even noticed. Moral of the story is: I am not a professional baker. I do make mistakes at times, but I always come up with a solution and follow through with my intentions. I have just learned to roll with the punches and not take things too seriously. Sometimes, it's just good to laugh at yourself and move on.




Click here to download the double sided recipe card and simply just print it on a 4x6" index card to add to your recipe box!


2 comments:

  1. Love the format of the recipe card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It took me a while. Haha!

      Delete